Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Artist Who Painted A Lasting Impression

Here's Alice in 2008, creating a watercolor painting, plein air, in the gardens of Stone Head, Brown County, Indiana.  
Alice Michael was my childhood idol.

She and Mike, one of my older brothers, were high school sweethearts during my formative years in a small Indiana town called Pendleton.

Although I have two older sisters, too, Alice was like a third. She took us to the pool, took us to see Mike play football and baseball, cooked us our first Mulligan stew, handcrafted the coolest, cutest greeting cards. She made us feel extra special.

I still have those cards tucked away somewhere - they are priceless and I remember them so vividly. One, a Halloween card, featured a photograph of her on the cover that she'd artfully altered to make her appear Bride of Frankenstein-like scary. The effect was more humorous though. It was accompanied by the message “I'M CRAZY...” then inside was the pay off “...ABOUT YOU!” Another card — for my birthday – read: “TO A KEEN TEEN,” and featured her original color sketch of a lanky, pubescent me, complete with '80s-style feathered hairdo, cool shades and a tennis racket. Come to think of it, she even drew a net and court in the background. She never missed a detail.

Alice was the quintessential girl next door - but way smarter, funnier, creative and more beautiful. She was on the swim and track teams and in the top 10 percent of her graduating class. She didn’t have to wear much makeup, and her skin was the type that turned a perfect honey-like bronze in summer. I adored her so much — not in a childhood crush kind of way though. I simply aspired to be like her. In my eyes, she was perfection. She was my idol.

Alice and Mike would eventually marry, and although they aren’t together today, I still hold a special place in my heart for this inspiring woman. I am taking a trip to Indiana this month and look forward to possibly reuniting with her. Meanwhile, I’ll try and unearth those precious greeting cards she so lovingly made for me.

No comments: